Saturday, June 20, 2015

What Does It Take to be a Super Hero?



This week is Super Heroes Week at Camp Doublecreek.  What is a Super Hero?  What does it take to be a super hero?  Could you be a super hero?  There is a Super Hero Quiz you can take to find out which Super Hero you would be.

On a scale of 1 to 5, “1” being a definite “No” and “5” being a definite “Yes,” I answered 47 questions pertaining to super hero status. Some questions made sense, such as:  Do you like to fly?  Do you like to wear a cape? Are you a persistent do-gooder? Are you good at acrobatics?  Are you athletic? Are you a fast runner? Are you obviously powerful?

I honestly didn’t see any relevance to being a super hero on some of the questions.  Maybe you can help me.  Here’s a sample:  Do you like redheads?  Do you have long hair?  Are you beautiful?  Are you young at heart?

I took the test and guess what?  According to the survey, I am . . . wait for it . . . “Superman!”  Well, I’m sort of like Superman.  I scored 60% on the Superman scale when I answered the questions honestly (like a 61 year-old man would).  I guess I’m the “geezer” version of Superman.

But what are the characteristics that make a super hero?  It’s a long list.  Studying the list, I made a connection.  I see these traits every day.  Here is a sample of some super hero traits:  careful, cautious, confident, creative, curious, exuberant, dutiful, intelligent, light-hearted, logical, savvy, stead, serious, whimsical, adventuresome, dedicated, and finally, one-of-a-kind.

As I said, I see these traits every day at the activities all around camp. I see counselors displaying super hero traits in all kinds of situations.  While the situations I observe are not the fictional saving-the-world scenarios, they are real to everyone involved.  The seriousness of the scenarios seen at Camp Doublecreek range from helping a camper overcome their fear of heights to go down the zip line to watching campers figure out who made the winning gesture while playing “Giants, Wizards, and Elves.”

Actually, it’s not just counselors who exemplify super hero traits at camp.  I see campers displaying super hero traits that I have come to appreciate.  Some campers are very curious – they never tire of tracking Rollie-Pollies or Ladybugs.  Want to see some bravery?  Watch a camper stand at the top of the water slide tower, take a deep breath, and then go for it!  The examples of campers and counselors discovering new skills and experiencing new adventures are endless.

For identification purposes, the trait “one-of-a-kind” sets all super heroes apart.  It’s how you know one super hero from another, how Batman differs from Superman.   The campers and counselors at Doublecreek are all one-of-a-kind.  They are all special.  I’m lucky.  Most people have to buy a comic book to see a super hero.  Me, all I have to do is start the bus in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment