Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Final Fling Week



This is a tough article to write.  I’m writing about Camp Doublecreek and I’m not there.  I wish I was there, but I’m getting ready for the school year.  It’s interesting that we had quite a few teachers working at Doublecreek this year and several of us had something in common:  we worked right up to the last day possible.  I’m writing this article while sitting in an air-conditioned library.  Never mind the heat and humidity -- I’d rather be at Doublecreek! (Now that sounds like a familiar slogan.)  To keep this article relevant to the week, Dan has agreed to send me some daily high points.  Below is the written interaction between us:

Monday:
Dan - "I am so grateful for our terrific counselors.  I can tell each staff is working hard to finish the summer strong for the campers!  Things went very smooth today.  Not to mention we had a great Sing Song with Improv songs, skits and dancing."

Joe Ray - "The staff has worked creatively and tirelessly this summer.  With this group, there is always good news and bad news.  The good news – some will be back next summer; the bad news – some will have to move on."

Tuesday:
Dan - "It was great to see the Junior Counselors (JCs) take so much initiative today.  It gives a great glimpse into next summer. Today started the pick up point singing competition.  The campers and counselors did a great job.  Unfortunately. you have been replaced on your bus and now it is Griffin's White Bus (it does not hurt any that he is judging the contest.)":)

Joe Ray - "We've watched the JCs grow from campers into counselors.  Their evolution from, in some cases, mini-campers into counselors has been a joy to watch.  I often forget they are still in high school.  And, I will be happy to share my bus song with my nephew (Griffin) for a week."

Wednesday:
Dan - "The small group of counselors-in-training (CITs) are really stepping up and helping to cover groups. In addition, they taking out trash and restocking for the whole camp.  Many exciting games took place today in all age groups.  Some I do not remember playing this summer."

Joe Ray - "I have to give a special shout out to Dy’Rius, Eugene, Tommy and Rachel for the splendid job they did with our CITs.  This summer our CITs were awesome.  They were so eager and were a huge help around camp."

Thursday
Dan - "Today we crowned the winner of the pick up point singing competition.  Congrats to Henry for not only winning, but creating a new camp song!"

Joe Ray - "The pick up point counselors have done a great job maintaining our tradition of singing and entertaining on the bus.  One week, a camper asked me mid-morning when we were going home and when I asked, 'why?' he said because he loved play trivia on his bus."

Friday:
Dan - "Today went in true final style.  We had a great Sing Song: where I messed up 'Singing in the Rain' (that is why I let you lead the songs), the campers acted like the counselors as we passed out awards, the pool was drained as everyone swam in it and CvC (camper versus counselor soccer) came down to the wire with the series tied going into today's match.  Ultimately the counselors prevailed, but it fueled the fire for next summer!"

Joe Ray - "There are not enough awards to give for our staff.  Our lead counselors, Amber, Austin, Calvin, Dara, Dayna, Eugene, Gabe, Griffin, Parker, Sarah, Shannon, and Todd, provided incredible leadership and stability to rest of the staff.  Finally, Dan, Kim, Rachel and Susan kept the camp running on an even keel all summer. It is no surprise to me that this week was such a success."

I would like to thank the parents, grandparents, and legal guardians who trusted us with your children.  Without you we would not have a camp. Yes, this was the best summer ever.  Summer #45 is in the books.  I can’t wait for next summer!

 -- Joe Ray  





No comments:

Post a Comment