Friday, July 8, 2016



Red, White and Blue

With the 4th of July being celebrated on Monday of this week, the phrase “Red, White, and Blue” takes on a special meaning.  I’m talking about our flag, our country, and the freedoms we enjoy.  All families have special ways of celebrating July 4th:  picnics, family reunions, trips to the lake, cookouts, and fireworks.

Doublecreek spends the entire week celebrating July 4th.  In the past, we celebrated in a style unique to Doublecreek.  Early on we had cookouts.  The day before the 4th, Uncle Carter would fire up the grill and he would grill hot dogs for the entire camp.  When you have less than 100 campers, that’s an option we do not have now with 300+ campers.

Later we had 4th of July parades.  We would decorate everything that moved.  Golf carts, wagons, trucks, tractors, horses, goats, and campers were all decked out with every combination of red, white and blue you could imagine.  One year, we had a marching band made up entirely of kazoo players.  Hearing “You’re a Grand Old Flag” played by kazoos was truly a memorable experience.  The only problem we had with our parades was the audience or lack thereof.  With the exception of Uncle Carter, Aunt Trudy and the camp nurse, everybody else was in the parade.

For the bi-centennial celebration in 1976, we were very ambitious.  We tried to re-enact Washington crossing the Delaware in the pool.  We used wading pools as boats.  It was spectacular – except for all the boats capsizing and the entire company swimming to the side, it went very well!

Recently we’ve had groups singing an assigned song – usually a military song.  Every summer, Uncle Carter would lead a stirring rendition of “The Army Air Corp” song.

Uncle Carter served this country with pride during World War II along with millions of men and women of the “greatest generation.”  Except for going AWOL (away without leave) once (I’m not sure it was even noticed), he served with distinction.  I should mention that when he went AWOL, it was for a very good reason – to attend my parents’ wedding, where he gave away the bride.  It’s a pretty good story, but that’s another article.

However you celebrate the 4th, remember to either thank or honor those who have served our country.  I’ll remember Uncle Carter for the way he served his country, for the way he led his life, and the wonderful influence he had on me and thousands of Doublecreek campers and counselors.  

I will be sure to thank my father for his service and for being a wonderful father to me.  I will thank my nephew, Griffin Reeder, for serving his country now and for being a nephew I am truly proud of.
I apologize for hijacking this article to show my love and appreciation to members of my family.  Hopefully, you get to do the same.

If you have memories of Uncle Carter or if you would like to thank members of your family for their service, please post on our Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/CampDoublecreek
If I can do it, you can do it.  Hey, it’s a free country.


 -- Joe Ray



Here's the link to our Red, White and Blue Week video:  https://vimeo.com/173894066


No comments:

Post a Comment