Friday, June 15, 2018

Summer 2018 is Here!





Summer 2018 has begun and there’s only one problem...I’m not there.  There are times when my school schedule doesn’t align with Camp’s schedule.   I miss the way we do the pledge at Doublecreek by traditionally singing “You’re a Grand Old Flag,” but with new faces.

The beginning of summer at Doublecreek always blends the old and the new.  This year we will have a new surface to the basketball court, a new surface at the pool, and a new play structure in Central Park.  There’s lots of new paint and freshly mown play areas.  We have old counselors, (let’s use a different term -- we have returning counselors), mixed in with new counselors.  I always enjoy counselor training because I have a chance to catch up with what’s going on with our veteran staff and becoming acquainted with our new staff.

During this past off season I’ve spent time going through old pictures.  I noticed that except for hair styles and attire, campers and counselors who come to Doublecreek really don’t seem to look different from one year to the next.  Now, I don’t mean they look the same in a rigid manner.  But I see campers and staff enjoying themselves at Doublecreek.  Characteristics of great counselors don’t change from one generation to the next. What made a counselor great in the 70’s still applies today.  Campers still respond to counselors who show respect and love.  Campers have fun at Doublecreek.  Why? It is due to the counselors.  When you compare the Doublecreek campus on opening day 1971 to Doublecreek 2018, there’s no comparison.  When you compare the atmosphere of Doublecreek 1971 to the 2018 atmosphere, it’s identical!  Doublecreek has always been a magical place.  Starting with Uncle Carter and Aunt Trudy and continuing through Scott Kirtley and now Dan Neal, it’s a special place because of the campers and counselors who choose to spend their summer here. 

So, I have to miss the first eight days of camp.  I’ll survive somehow! It helps to know that until school’s out Doublecreek will be there.  That is something that makes me smile.

 -- Joe Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment